“We Interrupt This Program…” Open Call
“We Interrupt this Program…”
An art show about disrupting the straight male gaze in sci-fi/fantasy art,
including visual art, film and video games.
In Laura Mulvey’s 1975 essay Visual and Other Pleasures, the concept of the male gaze in cinema is outlined as a visual narrative controlled by an active male character and a passive female character. Simply put, the story is told, and viewed by the audience, through the eyes of a heterosexual male. Consequently, the story depicts the female character in “their traditional exhibitionist role” and are “looked at and displayed”.
Despite depicting imaginary worlds where anything is possible, all too often sci-fi and fantasy artistic mediums fall victim to the male gaze, objectifying women, underutilizing depth of character development, or failing to cast women as well as others in the LGBTQA community in central roles. We Interrupt this Program.. Is an art show aimed to disrupt the male gaze in sci-fi and fantasy mediums. The show will open to the public on April 7, 2018, and be on view until May 27, 2018.
March 9, 2018 11:59pm- Submission Deadline
March 16, 2018- Notification of Selection
April 7, 2018: Opening Reception
Please note: submissions do not guarantee a space in the show.
All submissions must use the submission form found on our website: SUBMISSION FORM
- Submissions must include artwork image(s), art statement, artist’s name, title, date, medium, size, and listing price.*
- Artists may submit up to 3 art pieces
- Please indicate which piece goes with each title
Artwork and Sales:
- If artwork is selected for display, upon drop off artwork must be framed or otherwise ready for installation/display
- All artwork must be for sale
- *Tectonic Space will receive a 30% commission on all works sold. Please note that the listing price submitted INCLUDES this commission.
- On February 12, 2018